Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Kaitlyn & Matthew


I have been thinking a lot about the role that Kaitlyn and Matthew have had to play in Liam's life. Over the 14 months that Liam has been alive they have shown him more love and adoration (sometimes too much lol) than any little brother could ask for. At a drop of a hat they have to had to be shuffled around to people's houses, sleep over places or stay home with other people, miss sports practices and events, they have had to adjust and change their daily life all because of the extra care their little brother requires. They have had to come to countless doctors appointments with him, have had to visit him in the hospital, seen him hooked up to machines and pumps, and have watched and participated in his daily routine everyday at home.  Matthew spent his 6th birthday in the hospital with his little brother because that's where he wanted to be. These are the most amazing 8 (almost 9) and 6 year old kids and I have the pleasure of calling them my own. They have never once hesitated or been afraid they worry for him and just want to be there for their little brother.

I forget sometimes that Kaitlyn is only 8 years old, she has handled this all with such grace. She helps me daily venting Liam's tube, getting his flushes ready, gets me the supplies I need whenever I forget something. She holds Liam when he is screaming and I just need a minute to get his meds or fix his pump. She wears her "I love a tubie" bracelet with such pride and tells all her friends about Liam and his struggles. She is truly inspirational and I hope that this whole experience will stick with her and continue to follow her as she grows up into the wonderful lady I know she will become.

Matthew has been equally as helpful (although not as motherly as Kaitlyn) and never batted an eye to what his little brother has had to endure. He stands right by him and entertains him when I need to clean his site and flush his tube or give him meds. He loves his brother so much that he rarely lets him be more than 2 feet away from him. Matthew being younger than Kaitlyn has done remarkably well being shuffled from one house to another while I have been hospitalized with Liam.

A huge reason the kids have done so well with this all is our large support group.  They are so familiar with our friends and their kids that going to their houses when needed is more of a treat than a burden for them. I cannot thank everyone enough who has taken time away from their own families to help watch out for Kaitlyn and Matthew while we haven't been able to.

I sometimes forget to take a minute and realize that what Liam has had to go through has affected them equally as much.  I couldn't have asked for more understanding, loving, kind, and generous kids and I need to tell them that much more often than I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment